In his weekly blog, Archbishop Charles Chaput offers some thoughts on the new Pope, Francis, and his recent actions.
Archdiocese Of Philadelphia
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Thursday, March 21, 2013
The Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia is the sole sponsor of its kind supporting a traditional-marriage march in D.C.
When organizers and activists march on Washington D.C. in support of traditional marriage, only one archdiocese in the country will be recognized as a sponsor of the event: ours. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia is currently the sole diocesan sponsor of the upcoming Marriage March on March 26. The event is planned in conjunction with the Supreme Court’s hearings on the constitutionality of California’s Proposition 8, which outlawed same-sex marriages in California. “We believe it is imperative that political leaders, the media, and the culture see that we care about protecting marriage enough to stand up and march for it,” the group said on its website. Supporters of the march include several state and national pastor groups…
Monday, September 17, 2012
The Rev. Michael Chapman, former Hispanic Ministry Coordinator for Montgomery County, has been placed on administrative leave after allegations of sexual abuse of minors.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia has placed the Rev. Michael Chapman, former Hispanic Ministry Coordinator for Montgomery County, back on administrative leave following allegations of sexual abuse of minors. According to the press release, Chapman was originally placed on leave in March 2011 for an alleged violation of The Standards of Ministerial Behavior and Boundaries. In May of 2012, as Archbishop Charles Chaput and the Office for Child and Youth Protection was working with the parish for his return, the Archdiocese received allegations of sexual abuse of minors against Chapman. The Archdiocese immediately reported the new allegations, which allegedly occurred approximately 30 years ago, to law enforcement and delayed Chapman's return …
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Faith in the Future Foundation will manage new Philadelphia Catholic school system.
Continuing a year of restructuring, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced Tuesday it would create a new independently managed Catholic school system for area high schools and special education schools. In a press conference at St. Hubert's High School in Northeast Philadelphia, Archbishop Charles Chaput said the Faith in the Future Foundation—which oversaw the mergings and closings of elementary schools earlier this year—would manage 17 high schools and four special education schools beginning Sept. 1. Chaput said the independent system would focus on major fundraising, enrollment management, marketing and cultivating best practices in leadership and education. "The willingness of lay leaders with a love for Catholic education to step …
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Monsignor William Lynn is the first senior U.S. Catholic Church official to be convicted of covering up sexual abuses of children by priests.
According to The New York Times, a Philadelphia judge Tuesday sentenced Monsignor William J. Lynn, former aide to Cardinal Anthony J. Bevilacqua, to three to six years in prison for covering up sexual abuses by priests under his supervision. According to the Associated Press, Judge M. Teresa Sarmina told Lynn at sentencing that he enabled "monsters in clerical garb... to destroy the souls of children, to whom you turned a hard heart." Lynn was found guilty in June of one count of endangering a child but was acquitted of conspiracy and a second count of endangerment. Lynn's lawyers reportedly plan to appeal his conviction. Read more about the sentencing and the trial here.
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Dr. Carol A. Cary and Jacqueline P. Coccia will serves as leaders for secondary and elementary schools, respectively.
Two officials within the archdiocese were promoted to lead parochial schools for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, according to a news release Thursday. Dr. Carol A. Cary and Jacqueline P. Coccia were named superintendents for the 17 secondary and 123 elementary schools, respectively. Both immediately took roles—unlike the School District of Philadelphia's new superintendent, who won't start until October. "The Archdiocese of Philadelphia undertook an extensive, national search and looked to outside counsel to ensure that we selected candidates that best exemplify the skill-set needed to lead the students of the Archdiocese in the 21st century," said Bishop Michael Fitzgerald in a news release. He oversees Catholic Education for the …
Monday, June 25, 2012
Father Liam Murphy, formerly stationed at St. Patrick's Church, posted his remarks about the Monsignor Lynn verdict and the ongoing rift in the church over the scandal to Facebok.
By now most readers are familiar with the case against Monsignor William Lynn. Lynn was charged with several counts of endangering children and conspiracy for his alleged role in covering up instances of sexual abuse of children by priests in Archdiocese of Philadelphia. [See this timeline of the case put together by The New York Times.] On Friday, Lynn, a former aide to Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua, was found guilty of endangering children and became the first senior official of the Roman Catholic Church in America convicted of covering up sexual abuses by priests. Lynn was acquited of conspiracy and another count of endangerment by the jury. Many local Catholics have struggled for years with their faith and loyalty to the church in the …
Friday, May 4, 2012
Archbishop Charles Chaput made the announcement in a press conference earlier today.
According to several news sources, the Archdiocese has made determinations about eight of the 27 priests it's suspended while it's been investigating allegations of misconduct in recent months. According to Philly.com, Archbishop Charles Chaput announced today that the following five priests have been removed from ministry: The following three priests have been restored to service: One of the priests being investigated has reportedly died during the course of the investigation and no determination was made prior to his death. Six cases are still being reviewed by authorities. Announcements on the remaining dozen are expected in the coming weeks. You can read the full text of the Archdiocese's release on their website.
Friday, February 10, 2012
District Attorney Risa Ferman addresses rumors surrounding the county coroner's investigation into the passing of Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.
Amidst a backdrop of widespread rumors and speculation, Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Ferman held an impromptu press conference on Friday morning to explain why the Montgomery County Coroner is looking into the passing of Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua. "Ordinarily, when we are involved in investigative matters, we don't comment on them," said Ferman. "The reasons for that are quite obvious. We also don't want to ever target someone, smear someone, accuse someone or an institution's reputation without evidence of a crime." "I've chosen to speak about this because I actually think the opposite is true here," Ferman continued. "If I were to remain silent on what's going on right now, I think it would actually generate speculation, …