.

Fort Washington Country Club Collecting for Families Displaced by Willow Grove Fire

People watch a fire in the 1900 block of Fairview Avenue in the Willow Grove section of Abington. Credit: Mischa Arnosky
People watch a fire in the 1900 block of Fairview Avenue in the Willow Grove section of Abington. Credit: Mischa Arnosky

Written by Leann Pettit

The Manufacturer's Golf and Country Club is collecting donations for family members of a devastating fire that occurred in the Willow Grove section of Abington Township on Sept. 6.

The residents of the homes destroyed are employees at the Fort Washington country club who work as part of the grounds crew. Besides the two men who have been displaced from their homes, there are also four children, including an infant, an adult mother and father and two brothers.

As previously reported on Patch, the Abington Fire Marshal ruled the fire accidental. The fire "destroyed four dwellings within two twin structures and damaged a fifth structure."

Manufacturer's Golf and Country Club is collecting clothing, gift cards, toiletries and monetary donations for the families. The monetary donations will be used to help the families put a down payment on an apartment, according to a post on their Facebook page.

A list of clothing sizes can be found on the Manufacturer's Golf and Country Club Facebook page.

The reception desk at the golf club will collect all monetary donations for the families. Collections boxes are available at the reception desk to drop clothing, toiletries, and canned goods.

Learn more about the collections efforts by Manufacturer's Golf and Country Club by calling 215-886-3200.

Fairview Fundraiser September 14, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Another family, the Wood's, also lost their house and all of their belongings due to this tragedy. The Garcia/Gonzales house was attached to the Wood's. And all of the families involved lost everything. The fire started at the house next door to the Wood's. The fire dept determined it was due to some of the residents of that house not disposing of their cigarettes properly. Within minutes the first house was up in flames. The fire quickly grew in size and began to spread to the Wood/Ramirez house, which in turn caught on fire as well. A webpage has been set up to collect donations to help the Wood's in their desperate time of need. Any help you can provide would be so greatly appreciated. The donation website is located here: http://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/16494

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »