Team Tutor family joins the nation in expressing our sadness at the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. Our hearts go out to everyone affected by this horrific event.
We put together some strategies and helpful tips to help guide you when talking with your children about violence.
- Try to keep routines as normal. Kids need the security of their daily routines, including attending school.
- Monitor exposure to the media.
- Be open and honest with your kids and share as much information as they are able to handle.
- Promote open communication. Allow kids to share their fears and worries with you.
- Control your own stress and behavior. Kids often follow their parents’ lead when it comes to behavior. Model the behavior you want your children to exhibit.
Here are some additional resources that may be helpful during this time.
Do you have any other suggestions that can be helpful for our children? Please share your thoughts.
Yolanda Coleman is a proud mom of 3 young children. She is a certified teacher that founded Team Tutor, a private tutoring firm that serves Pre-K through College students all throughout the Delaware Valley. Team Tutor's mission is provide the best quality of individualized tutoring, enrichment and Test Prep. Team Tutor offers weekly tips and educational resources on their blog (http://www.yourteamtutor.com/blog) for students, parents and teachers alike.